Match Report: Wexford FC U15 0-0 Cobh Ramblers U15

Report by Ethan Lahiff

The spoils were shared this afternoon as Wexford FC welcomed Cobh Ramblers to Ferrycarrig Park, in what were very wet and slippery conditions. Despite the lack of goals, this was an entertaining encounter with both sides having a goal chalked off for offside, along with an abundance of chances.

The first big chance of the game fell to Wexford in the fourth minute when Ivers cut in from the left before whipping in a shot which was smartly saved by the Cobh ‘keeper down to his left.

Come the eighth minute Cobh had a chance of their own when Delaney’s free-kick skipped off the surface testing the handling of O’Brien in the Wexford goal, who did well to hold.

Wexford could have considered themselves unlucky to not to have found the back of the net when Butler rose highest to meet an inswinging corner, but his effort flew agonisingly wide of the post with the Cobh ‘keeper rooted to the spot.

In a third which was heavily dominated by Wexford, Ivers also had his free kick attempt curl wide with the wall and Morrissey well-beaten. 30 Mins: Wexford FC 0-0 Cobh Ramblers.

The middle third was slightly quieter than the first in terms of chances, largely down to the fact that Cobh came into the game more, moving the ball with more purpose than they did in the first. Ebu had a great opportunity to break the deadlock and put Cobh in the ascendancy when he raced clear of the Wexford backline, but O’Brien did well to race off his line and to close the onrushing forward down, who in the end could only shoot straight into the arms of the Wexford stopper. 60 Mins: Wexford FC 0-0 Cobh Ramblers.

The final third proved to be the most dramatic as the game became more stretched with both sets of players searching for an elusive opener. Wexford were forced to defend much more as Delaney became more and more effective for Cobh. He teed up a lovely ball across goal for substitute Foley, but his effort flew over the crossbar, much to Wexford’s relief. O’Brien was by far the busier of the two ‘keepers at this stage and he done extremely well to smother the Cobh striker after initially saving a free kick from the edge of the area.

Cobh thought they had broken the deadlock in the 84th minute when Foley had the ball in the back of the net but he was adjudged to have been offside from the initial shot-come-cross which left him unmarked.

In the final minute Wexford too would have the ball in the net. However, just like Cobh moments prior, it too was ruled offside. In what was an extremely entertaining and competitive match up in tough conditions, a share of the spoils was perhaps the right result.

Full-Time: Wexford FC 0-0 Cobh Ramblers.

Wexford FC: O’Brien, Kisov, Wycherley, O’Farrell, Butler, Flannery, Beary, Ralph, Kinch, Ivers, O’Neill. Substitutes: O’Leary F, O’Leary J, Doyle, Norval, Conway, O’Grady, Buttle, Byrne, Collins.

Cobh Ramblers: Morrissey, Alaa, Quin, Eusteed, Donovan, Sinnott, O’Connell, Delaney, Ebu, Walsh, Wyse. Substitutes: Lyons, Murphy, O’Callaghan, O’Mahoney, Foley, O’Shea.

Match Official: Vitalii Honta.

Our Sponsors

Many thanks to all our club sponsors, without whom we wouldn't be able to continue our journey. See our primary sponsors below, and visit their websites by clicking on their logo. If you're interested in discussing any sponsorship opportunities within the club, get in touch, or visit the sponsor page.