ūüďł Some final pics from Galway. Back in League action at home to Athlone on Monday night. https://t.co/zLqNUv84qM

Another frustrating result for Wexford FC in Longford last night, Brian O'Sullivan's team arguably the better side but still they left Bishopsgate with nothing after two late goals from Aaron McCabe sealed a much needed victory for De Town. It's been a very tough August for Wexford, just the one draw and five defeats despite some good team performances in a hectic month of fixtures.

O'Sullivan was without Conor English for the trip to the midlands, the in form striker was injured late on in the Athlone Cup game on Friday night, so it meant a first start of the season for Azeez Yusuff and the speedy winger went on to have a very fine game.

Longford were in bad need of three points if they were to continue their interest in the First Division title race (they were nine points adrift of leaders Cabinteely prior to kick off) but it was the visitors who looked the more lively team early on, in fact it took a goal line clearance to prevent Yusuff from giving Wexford the lead as early as the fourth minute. The hosts however took the lead against the run of play in the 11th minute when Sam Vernon converted from the penalty spot after Rob Manley was fouled in the box.

Wexford heads didn't drop and Charlie Smith went close in the 17th minute after been released by a delightful Jack Doherty pass, however his left foot chip was too high. The two combined again five minutes later, this time Smith's shot was blocked away for a corner. Longford were quick to counter and Tom Murphy had to palm away Manley's left foot shot that was destined for the corner. The end to end action continued in what was an entertainingly open game and once again it was Smith who was the danger man, this time he was unable to get a vital touch on Jay Nwanze's cross in from the wing. The hosts had the final effort of the half however, Murphy again called into action to deny an Adam Evan's volley at the back post.

It was another bright start from Wexford in the second half, Karl Manahan had a great opportunity on the hour mark when sent through on goal after another top drawer pass from Doherty but the midfielder was prevented from getting a shot on goal after a desperate Joseph Manley tackle. The best chance of the game arrived on the 68th minute, James Carroll started the move with a quick pass from the edge of his box to an unmarked Smith who in turn quickly found Doherty down the wing who cut inside and fired a powerful left foot shot on goal but Lee Steacy was equal too it and blocked it away for a corner. Ten minutes later and Wexford got their deserved equaliser after Conor Crowley (with his first goal for the club) found the back of the net from a free kick on the wing, Steacy unsighted and reacting too late to the shot on goal.

Longford needed to respond and Nwanze did well to clear off the line after an excellent cross in down Longford's right. After 120 minutes of action on Friday night in Athlone (Longford had no Cup game after been knocked out in the First Round) there was always the danger of tiredness kicking in late on for Wexford so O'Sullivan made some late changes, the first been Patrick O'Sullivan replacing Smith in the 82nd minute. The hosts made changes too, Aaron McCabe one of them and the youngster ended up the hero of the night for Longford with two goals in the final five minutes of play.

The first was an audacious lob over Murphy after getting on the end of a long punt forward in the 87th minute to give Longford the lead again and the forward added to that two minutes later following up a shot to find the net to secure the three points for the hosts although the referee should have stopped the game prior to the initial shot going in when Kevin McEvoy (who had just replaced Yusuff) was clearly fouled after a dangerous high foot challenge as he headed Steacy's long kick away from danger. 

Next up for Wexford is an away trip to UCD on Friday night.

Wexford FC: Tom Murphy, Dan Tobin (c), Jay Nwanze, James Carroll, Craig Giles, Karl Manahan, Conor Crowley, Karl Fitzsimons, Azeez Yusuff (Kevin McEvoy 87'), Jack Doherty and Charlie Smith (Patrick O'Sullivan 82').  Subs Not Used: Jack Lydon, Kristian Crawford, Liam Berry, Malike Hill Benrouguibi and Kieran Murphy.

Longford Town: Lee Steacy, Joseph Manley, Joe Gorman, Shane Elworthy, Dean Zambra (Aaron McCabe 83'), Michael McDonnell, Adam Evans (Matthew O'Brien 83'), Aodh Dervin, Dean Byrne, Sam Verdon (Dylan Grimes 23') and Rob Manley.  Subs Not Used: Dylan Hand, Luke Dennison, Karl Chambers and Niall Barnes.

You can check out the match highlights here:







League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Shamrock Rovers II 12 -5 8
9 Athlone Town 12 -16 6
10 Wexford FC 12 -22 6

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
2 Peamount Utd 6 17 15
3 Wexford Youths WFC 5 10 12
4 Cork City Women 5 1 9

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2020 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top