Wexford FC RT @PGKgloves: The One with Tom Murphy Check out this weeks podcast. Great insight from a young goalkeeper moving across to Everton Footba…

A long difficult season for Wexford FC came to an end on Saturday night with a 2-1 defeat to Cabinteely FC at a rain soaked Ferrycarrig Park. The result won't live long in the memory of the 174 present, instead it will be remembered for Thomas Croke's final appearance in a Wexford FC shirt, the 28 year old hanging up his League of Ireland boots for a new adventure in the US. 

There were two changes to the side that were beaten by Limerick a week before at Markets Field, Sean Roche and Conor English coming in for Liam Berry and the injured Darryl Walsh. Corey Chambers was called into action in the fifth minute with a fine stop from ex Wexford FC man Shane Barnes but the home team slowly grew into the game as the half wore on, although clear cut chances were hard to come by against a strong physical Cabinteely side full of confidence after qualifying for the promotion play offs. After a good spell of pressure from Wexford the visitors almost took the lead on a counter attack, Chambers again with a super save to deny Keith Dalton in the 25th minute. Five minutes later and Wexford had their best chance of the half, Emmet Nugent cutting in from the right and firing narrowly over. Despite the open nature of the game the sides went in scoreless at the break.

Five minutes after the restart Sean Roche ran onto a through ball but Clarke was quick off his line to block the young strikers shot. Shane Griffin was next to try his luck, his right foot shot from distance just wide. With twenty to go Thomas Croke made his departure to a rousing reception, Liam Berry coming on his place. Three minutes later and the visitors took the lead, a quick move down the right followed by a low cross to Eoin Massey who fired home from five yards, the goal coming very much against the run of play. Brody Murphy (still a part of our U17 squad) came on in place of Sean Roche a minute later. Shortly after, Wexford were level, Conor English was pushed over in the box and the striker converted the spot kick himself for his first goal since signing in the Summer.

Cabinteely retook the lead in the 80th minute, Yuta Sasaki heading in after a slick move down the left from the Dublin side. As the rain fell harder Wexford pushed on for an equaliser their performance deserved and came close on two occasions, Andy Mulligan with a left foot shot saved by Clarke at his near post (Mulliagn was replaced by Andrew Farrell shortly after) and Emmet Nugent heading over from a corner as the game went into injury time. The goal refused to come though and Wexford fell to their 20th defeat of the season which confirmed a bottom placed finish for the first time in the clubs very short history. 

Wexford FC: Corey Chambers, Paddy Cahill, Dave Corish, Lee Costello, Andrew O'Connor, Shane Griffin, Thomas Croke (c), Emmet Nugent, Conor English, Andy Mulligan and Sean Roche.  Subs: Colum Feeney, Andrew Farrell, Brody Murphy, Liam Berry, Ciaran Paige and Josh Murphy.

You can check out the match highlights below:




League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
7 Galway United 2 0 2
8 Wexford FC 3 -2 2
9 Shamrock Rovers II 3 -3 1

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
7 Shelbourne FC 0 0 0
8 Treaty United 0 0 0
9 Wexford Youths Women 0 0 0

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2020 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top