Wexford FC All over here at the RSC, thanks to our hosts this afternoon & all the best for the season ahead. FT… https://t.co/s2lVMx8Qwa

On a cold night in Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford FC played their final home game of the season against Shelbourne FC, and before kickoff there was a minute’s applause held for the late great Jimmy McGee.

The game stated brightly for the both sides, as firstly Shelbourne attacked the Wexford goal.  Wexford had two chances of their own through Mark Slater and Sean Hurley, but once they got into a crossing position, there was little to aim at in the box so Shelbourne were able to clear on both occasions. The first real attempt on goal came after 15 minutes but David O’Leary’s shot blazed over the bar. Wexford continued to get the ball into the wide areas using Adam Hanlon quite often as a point of attack. Wexford won a free kick with about 25 minutes gone, Slater put the ball in but again the ball was cleared. 

Wexford’s first effort on target was just before the half hour mark. A tame shot forced Dean Delany in to making an easy save, Wexford had one more attempt on goal through Thomas Croke late into the second half. Right on the stroke of half time, a long ball was played into James Brown, who ran in like a night train past the Wexford defence and dinked it over Wexford’s young ‘keeper Colum Feeney, which was the first shot on target the visitors had so far. Shelbourne took this 1 goal lead into half time.

The opening 15 minutes of the second half were similar to the first as both sides traded long balls and the possession. Just on the hour mark Shelbourne got the ball into the Wexford box but a joint effort from Owen McCormack and Craig McCabe meant the ball was cleared. Wexford then made a double substitution as Shane Dunne and Dean Kelly were brought on in replace of Mikey Byrne and Thomas Croke.  The first yellow card was shown to Wexford midfielder Conor Sutton. Shelbourne winger Adam Evans broke down the left side and was dragged back by McCabe and was given a free in, but noting came from it. James English was then brought on for Shelbourne to replace Jamie Doyle. Then Evans causing trouble again down the right side got the ball in and it was headed just wide by the new man English.

Wexford then started to mount some pressure of their own. First Hanlon broke down his wing but his shot dragged wide. After 75 minutes Danny Doyle was sent on to replace Adam O’Rourke. Doyle broke down the right side and his crossed was mis-cleared and fell to Kelly who’s shot was blocked for a corner. Kelly put the corner in, McCormack headed back across goal, and then Danny Doyle headed in form close range. It seemed to be an inspired substitution from Damian Locke. With just over 10 minutes left Shelbourne’s Dayle Rooney rattled the crossbar from close range and then Feeney made two great saves to keep the tie finely poised at 1-1. McCabe gave away another free this time for fouling David O’Leary but the free kick came to nothing. 

Late into the game Wexford broke in a 3 on 2 situation but great defending from James Brown saw the Wexford attackers stopped in their tracks. Shelbourne 'keeper Dean Delany then misread a headed backpass and let it go past him, he turner quickly to prevent a Wexford corner. But as we have seen the past McCabe caused trouble for the Dublin side with his long throw ins, this time the visitors got it cleared. Then Wexford won a free and Dean Kelly struck it low but the ‘keeper made a good save. The game ended 1-1 in what is the last home game for Wexford this season.   

Attendance: 315

Wexford FC: Colum Feeney, Craig McCabe, Sean Hurley, Ross Kenny, Owen McCormack, Thomas Croke (Shane Dunne, 61), Mark Slater, Conor Sutton, Adam O'Rourke (Danny Doyle, 74), Mikey Byrne (Dean Kelly, 61), Adam Hanlon. Not used: Dean George, AJ Lehane, Aaron O'Connor, Adam Dempsey. 

Shelbourne: Dean Delany, James Brown, Aidan Collins, Adam Evans, Dylan Kavanagh, James O'Brien (Chris Lyons, 80), David O'Leary, Dayle Rooney, Jamie Doyle (James English, 71), Derek Prendergast, Alan Byrne. Not used: Jamie Quinn, Niall Lanigan, Aaron Molloy, Aaron Ashe, Dylan Grimes.

Referee: Alan Carey


Related Articles

Club Statement Regarding our recent 1-1 draw with Shelbourne
Read more ...
Match Preview: Wexford FC Vs. Shelbourne
Read more ...
WNL Preview: Youths Women take on Shelbourne LFC and Galway WFC
Read more ...
Match Report: Shelbourne 1 - 2 Wexford FC
Read more ...


League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2019 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top