Wexford FC All over here at the RSC, thanks to our hosts this afternoon & all the best for the season ahead. FT… https://t.co/s2lVMx8Qwa

On a cool Friday evening, Luca Forte was in position as Wexford FC played hosts to Waterford FC, with the visiting side looking for a victory which would leave them within touching distance of the league title.

As we have seen many times this season the visitors started the brighter. Inside the opening 10 minutes Waterford had forced Wexford ‘keeper Danny Bolger into making a couple of saves. In reply Wexford played the long ball, hoping to make something from it, but we failed to make anything from them.  Again Bolger was put under pressure as a slow Sutton back pass was just cleared by the Wexford ‘keeper. The first booking of the night was shown to Sander Puri for simulation. Puri went over and the referee judged it to be a dive and the Waterford man was shown a yellow card. As the game progressed Waterford continued to mount pressure on the Wexford backline, with Aaron Drinan crossing from the right wing, and troubling the Wexford defence. Just after the 20 minute mark, Bolger was again called into action making a save down low from a Puri shot. Wexford’s first effort of the match came from a break by Adam Hanlon, who crossed the ball in and Aaron Dobbs had a free header and his effort just went wide.  Wexford needed those chances to go in if they were hoping to get anything out of the game. 

On the 25 minute mark the deadlock was broken as Waterford took the lead through a Mark O’Sullivan goal. He found the back of the net after a great ball forward from Kenny Browne. Moments later Adam O’Rourke was booked for two consecutive challenges which were judged to have been late by the referee. Just after the half hour mark, Wexford won a free about 30 yards out to the right hand side. Hanlon put the ball into the area and it was just headed over by centre back Ross Kenny. Then a shot by Waterford’s Paul Keegan called Bolger into action as he dived low to make the save. Wexford then broke through a long ball which Dobbs won and laid off the Hanlon whose pass found Dean George, and his shot sailed over the bar. As seen with Waterford’s first goal their second came just after a Wexford break. Again it was Mark O’Sullivan who slotted the ball past Bolger from the edge of the area. Alan Reynolds side took a two goal into the second half.

Into the second half and Ross Kenny was shown a yellow card and the resulting free kick was sent wide. The first change of the match was made by Wexford manager Damien Locke, who sent on Aaron O’Connor to replace Deane George. Just before the hour mark Waterford again forced Bolger into making a save as a headed effort from a free kick was directed into the ‘keeper’s hands. Waterford continued to keep Wexford under pressure but they couldn’t find the back of the net for a third time. Wexford’s second change saw Shane Dunne sent on to replace Thomas Croke, who had a quiet game in midfield. 

People say lightening doesn’t strike twice, but on this occasion one could say lightning struck three times. Waterford’s third goal started as before from a Wexford free which was cleared and the ball was brought forward towards the Wexford goal. Bolger again made a save and then everyone seemed to stop, apart from Waterford player John Martin who put the ball passed Bolger to make it 3-0 to Alan Reynolds’ men. Waterford then made their first change by bringing on Dean Walsh to replace Puri, and moments later Danny Doyle was brought on for Wexford to replace Adam O’Rourke. Goal scorer Martin was then substituted and was replaced by Dean O’Halloran. 

Into the final moments and young Wexford forward Danny Doyle was shown a yellow card.  Then Doyle flicked on a ball to Dobbs who was dragged down in a last man challenge, but the referee waved play on. The last substitution of the game saw Paddy Barrett being brought off and replaced by Jack Lynch. The game ended Wexford 0-3 Waterford. With Waterford looking for 1 more point or for Cobh to drop points to be crowned Champions.

Attendance: 871

Wexford FC: Danny Bolger, Craig McCabe, Conor Sutton, Ross Kenny, Owen McCormack, Thomas Croke (Shane Dunne, 69), Adam O'Roourke (Danny Doyle, 78), Mikey Byrne, Aaron Dobbs, Dean George (Aaron O'Connor, 56), Adam Hanlon. Not used: AJ Lehane, Eoin Porter, Dean Kelly, Colum Feeney (GK).

Waterford FC: Matt Connor, Paul Keegan, Garry Comerford, Mark O'Sullivan, Anthony McAlevey, Sander Puri (Dean Walsh, 73), Patrick Barrett (Jack Lynch, 87), Kenny Browne, Aaron Drinan, John Martin (Dean O'Halloran, 78), Sean Heaney. Not used: David McDaid, Conor Whittle, Derek Daly, Ian McLoughlin (GK).

Referee: Eoghan O'Shea


Related Articles

Match Preview: Wexford FC Vs. Waterford FC
Read more ...
Match Report: Waterford FC 2 - 1 Wexford FC
Read more ...
Match Preview: Waterford FC Vs. Wexford FC
Read more ...
Match Report: Wexford FC 0 - 1 Waterford FC
Read more ...



League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2019 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top