Wexford FC Season tickets for 2019 are now on sale from https://t.co/D4fBzAZvYO! https://t.co/zfP2XnPKY4 https://t.co/QN9kMAE9dm

Luca Forte was in attendance on Friday night at Ferrycarrig Park to witness Wexford FC pick up their fourth win of the season against Cabinteely, and move off of the foot of the table for the first time since March.

The visitors started brightly and inside the first 5 minutes they had a shot which just went over, and also won a free kick in a dangerous position as a result of a Michael byrne hand ball. Wexford were saved though as the free kick was flicked on and landed at Sean Hurley’s feet who nearly put it into his own net, but it struck the post instead. After the early Cabinteely pressure was repelled, Wexford quickly found their feet as they won a free kick which Dean Kelly fired in and Thomas croke was unlucky not to have opened the scoring 6 minutes in. His header was touched on to the crossbar by the Cabinteely goalkeeper Mick Kelly. It wasn’t long before the ball was in the back of the cabinteely net, and it was Thomas Croke's shot that put it there. The ball was played over the top to Danny Doyle who crossed it in, the ball ping-ponged around before it fell nicely to Croke who volleyed low into the bottom corner from 25 yards out. 

The next 10 minuets of play was very scrappy which resulted in both teams winning frees but not being able to work anything from them. Wexford's young 'keeper Danny Bolger impressed as he made some great saves to deny Cabineely. Wexford defender Ross Kenny was shown a yellow card and a free was given to Cabinteely which was again saved by Bolger. Just after the half hour mark Wexford won a throw in near the cabinteely end line. Craig McCabe stepped up with his famous long throw and the ball was flicked on by Hurley and fell to that man Croke again who slotted in into the same corner as his previous effort. 2 goals for Croke before half time set Wexford up nicely for the second half. 

In the 1st minute of the second half Evan Galvin had his shot shaved by Bolger again. Just as the 2nd half started the rain began to pour down and the wind picked up which made playing conditions difficult. 10 minutes into the 2nd half Dean Kelly took a Wexford free kick just outside the area. The cabinteely goalkeeper Michael Kelly presumed the ball was going to be crossed in but Kelly had other ideas and tried to beat the keeper at his near post and he was only denied by the upright. Just after the hour mark the Wexford goal scorer Croke was taken off and replaced by Conor Sutton. Croke left to a standing ovation from the crowd. Wexford continued to mount chances with quick breaks but they amounted to nothing. Wexford again found themselves under pressure but a combination of saves from Bolger and blocks and great composure from Kenny meant that Cabinteely were unable to find the back of the net. On 70 minutes Hurley was shown a yellow card for a foul just outside the box but Conor Earley's free kick hit the wall and was cleared. Wexford then made 2 quick changes bringing on Andy O’Connor and Eoin Porter for Dean George and Danny Doyle. A Dean Kelly shot was blocked for a corner which resulted in Owen MCCormack hitting the bar with a header.

Cabinteely kept pumping long balls in on top of the Wexford defence, one of which resuted in a Corey Galvin shot, but it sailed over the bar. Wexford seemed to be dealing well with the pressure until Ryan Swan was pulled back in the penalty box and referee David Keeler pointed to the penalty spot. Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters stepped up to take the penalty but Bolger got down to his right quickly to make the save. Wexford continued to soak up the pressure and Eoin Porter was booked for a push in the back of Conor Earley. Swan again tried to wiggle his way into the box but this time he lost his bearings and ended up kicking the ball out for a throw in. wexford continued to break up the play and were able to hold out for a 2-0 win.

Attendance: 206

Wexford FC: Danny Bolger, Craig McCabe, Sean Hurley, Ross Kenny, Owen McCormack, Thomas Croke (Conor Sutton, 63), Danny Doyle (Eoin Porter, 77), Mikey Byrne, Aaron Dobbs, Dean Kelly, Dean George (Andrew O'Connor, 72). Not used: Adam Dempsey, AJ Lehane, Conor Dunne.

Cabinteely: Mick Kelly, Aaron Robinson (Gareth McCaffrey, 79), Rob McGee, Conor Keeley, Conor Earley, Anto Dolan (Sean Fitzpatrick, 58), Cory Galvin, Daire Doyle, Ryan Swan, Kieran Waters, Evan Galvin (Steven Ball, 83). Not used: Jack Menton, Dean Casey, Paul Fox, Michael Scott.

Referee: David Keeler




Related Articles

Match Preview: Wexford FC Vs. Cabinteely
Read more ...
Match Report: Cabinteely 0 - 1 Wexford FC
Read more ...
Match Preview: Cabinteely Vs. Wexford FC
Read more ...
Match Report: Wexford FC 1 - 1 Cabinteely
Read more ...



League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2018 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top