Wexford FC Season tickets for 2019 are now on sale from https://t.co/D4fBzAZvYO! https://t.co/zfP2XnPKY4 https://t.co/QN9kMAE9dm

Wexford FC bowed out of the EA Sports Cup on Tuesday night at the hands of local rivals Waterford FC.

Manager Damian Locke rotated his squad, and also the formation as Wexford lined up in an unfamiliar 5-3-2 system incorporating Sean Hurley and Ricky Fox as wing-backs. Initial thoughts were that it suited the players much better, and that the team looked more solid overall.

The best opportunity of the half, and what turned out to be the best opportunity of the game, for the home team came early in the game. Sean Hurley advancing from his left wingback position found Craig Hayes in the middle of the Waterford half. His perfectly weighted through ball found Liam Donnelly, but Matt Connor in the Waterford goal was able to save.

The resilience of the home team lasted just short of half an hour however, when a long ball over the top landed perfectly for David McDaid. As goalkeeper Corey Chambers raced from his goal, McDaid was able to get a toe to the ball and prod it past the young shotstopper and the balled rolled in to the open net.

Up until this point, there hadn't been much difference between the two teams, and it looked as though there may have been a case for Wexford avenging their 2-0 defeat in the RSC just 10 days earlier.

Just seconds before half time though, Waterford grabbed their second. Gary Delaney making his first return to Ferrycarrig Park rose at the back post to convert David McDaid's cross.

Having only scored 3 league goals all season, it was unlikely that Wexford would be able to come back and make any kind of a contest of the tie.

The second half was a dull affair in front of a small Ferrycarrig crowd. The highlight for the home side being the emergence of young talent Danny Doyle who made his senior debut for the club replacing Liam Donnelly for the last half hour.

With just 5 minutes of the contest to go, Waterford rubbed salt in the wounds of the home team, scoring 3 goals through Owen Wall (2) and David McDaid. Athough Waterford were by far the better team, the scoreline perhaps wasn't a fair reflection.

Next up for Wexford FC is a big game at home to Longford Town on Friday night (7th April). Kick off is 8:00pm.

Wexford FC: Corey Chambers, Ricky Fox, Sean Hurey (Andrew O'Connor, 66), Conor Sutton, Sean Eve, Owen McCormack, Adam Hanlon, John McKeown, Craig Hayes (Dean George, 77), Shane Dunne, Liam Donnelly (Danny Doyle, 63). Not used: Eoin Porter, Craig McCabe, Craig Wall, Graham Doyle

Waterford FC: Matt Connor, Patrick McClean (Jack Lynch, HT), Kenny Browne, Gary Delaney, Gary Comerford, Anthony McAlavey (Tunmise Sobowale, 81), Dean O'Halloran, David McDaid, Dean Walsh (Owen Wall, 65), Shane O'Connor. Not used: Mark O'Sullivan, Derek Daly, David Mulcahy, Matthew Sheehan



League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2018 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top