Wexford FC Season tickets for 2019 are now on sale from https://t.co/D4fBzAZvYO! https://t.co/zfP2XnPKY4 https://t.co/QN9kMAE9dm

A goal in each half from Derek Prendergast and Dayle Rooney was enough to give hosts Shelbourne all 3 points on Friday night.

After last week's win away to Athlone, Shelbourne would have come in to the game full of confidence. They certainly started like a team that were coming off of the back of a 4-1 win as their first chance on goal came inside the opening 2 minutes. Dayle Rooney went down the left easily outpacing Craig McCabe. Owen McCormack came across to try and make the tackle, but again Rooney was just too quick, evaded the challenge, and his cross picked out Adam Evans in the middle but his shot was dragged just wide.

With 11 minutes on the clock it was Shane Dunne who almost gave Wexford the lead. After Eoin Porter robbed James O'Brien in the middle of the park, his pass found Duffy in an advanced position. He in turn found Liam Donnelly on the right hand side of the pitch. Donnelly took a step inside, but with no room to move forward he laid it back to Shane Dunne a full 35 yards from goal. Dunne took a touch to set the ball and then connected sweetly with a shot that flew just inches past the Shelbourne post.

Just after the quarter hour mark, Wexford lost goalkeeper Graham Doyle to a back injury and he was replaced by 19 year old Corey Chambers. He would have been looking for some time to grow in to the game, but Shelbourne were not in a kind mood. The clever Adam Evans, a thorn in the Wexford side all evening tried several long distance shots to test out the replacement, but was blocked each time.

Next came 10 minutes of pure dominance from the home team. Firstly Evans went down the left, what looked like a bad touch enticed Chambers to come out of goal and try and intercept, but in truth he had no business being there and Evans' ball across goal hit James English on the shins and the ball bounced just wide when it looked like a goal was a certainty. Moments later, a corner from the Shelbourne right was met by the head of Alan Byrne and his header was cleared off of the line by the alert Andrew O'Connor. Another passage of play resulted in another corner for Shelbourne, and this time Prendergast's header was just over the bar.

The breakthrough for Shelbourne finally came in the 42nd minute. Another corner, again from the Shelbourne right was met at the near post by Derek Prendergast and his 4th goal of the season separated the teams at half time. 

Three minutes after the break, Adam Evans delicate shot from the corner of the penalty went just over the bar much to the relief of Chambers in the goal who could only stand and watch. But the with odd exception, the second half was in total contrast to the first, with not much to report.

Just before the hour mark, Wexford had hope as Lee Duffy was brought down inside the Shelbourne penalty area by Dayle Rooney. As to be expected, Shels protested the decision, but referee John McLoughlin was resolute in his decision. Andrew O'Connor stepped up, and would have been confident having scored two penalties in Wexford's previous visit to Tolka Park back in February, but his attempt was poor and Delany was easily able to repel the attempt.

With the missed opportunity perhaps on the minds of the young Wexford team, Shelbourne made sure of all three points 15 minutes before the end. A cross from the left was met by the diving header of Dayle Rooney, and the ball looped over Chambers and in to the far corner of the net.

Attendance: 465

Shelbourne: Dean Delany, Adam O'Connor, Reece McEnteer, Derek Prendergast, Lorcan Shannon (Aaron Ashe, 67), Mark Hughes, James O'Brien, Dayle Rooney (Chris Lyons, 89), James English, Alan Byrne, Adam Evans. Not used: Jamie Quinn, Jackson Ryan, Dylan Grimes, Jack Tuite, James Brown.

Wexford FC: Graham Doyle (Corey Chambers, 17), Owen McCormack, Andrew O'Connor, Ross Kenny, Craig McCabe, Thomas Croke, Eoin Porter, Craig Wall (Craig Hayes, 68), Lee Duffy, Shane Dunne, Liam Donnelly (Sean Hurley, 57). Not used: Ricky Fox, Conor Sutton, Sean Eve, John McKeown.

After the match, we caught up with Eoin Porter. Excuse the first few seconds of missing audio. Eoin was asked about making his first appearance of the season...



League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2018 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top