Wexford FC Season tickets for 2019 are now on sale from https://t.co/D4fBzAZvYO! https://t.co/zfP2XnPKY4 https://t.co/QN9kMAE9dm

Wexford FC are still searching for their first win of the season after losing out in the South East derby. Mark O'Sullivan's brace enough to give the home side a deserved 3 points.

In a very one sided game, it took until just prior to the tenth minute for Waterford to take the lead. Some good play from Wexford between Duffy, Dunne and Hanlon led to a Wexford corner. The ball was floated across left-footed by Andrew O'Connor from the right. It was partially cleared by Waterford, and just as Ricky Fox looked to be lining up another thunderbolt from 35 yards, there was a great block from Robin Dempsey, and the ball found it's way to Mark O'Sullivan in his own half. O'Sullivan ran in to the Wexford half and played the ball left to McDaid. McDaid continued forward and played it back to O'Sullivan who had continued his run through the middle, who finished with a poke past Graham Doyle.

The only real chance of the half for Wexford came in the 20th minute. A long diagonal ball from Ricky Fox was met by the head of Sean Hurley, and it dropped to Lee Duffy. He managed to turn on the spot, but his shot was scuffed and was gathered easy by Ian McLoughlin in the Blues goal.

The hosts went in to the half time interval with just the one goal to show for all their dominance.

It took a while for the second half to come to life. There was ten minutes gone before Tom Smith's through ball to McDaid was weighted perfectly, but unfortunately the run wasn't timed as well and the assistant referee's flag killed the play.

Just on the hour mark the lively Kenny McEvoy, who gave Andrew O'Connor a torrid time all night, managed to get another cross in from the right. This time McDaid was again found lacking and his half volley went well wide.

Five minutes later the hosts doubled their lead. It was the combination of McEvoy and O'Sullivan again who worked their magic. McEvoy again beat O'Connor on the Waterford right and his cross was met by the head of O'Sullivan in the 6-yard box. 

Lee Duffy again looked full of energy all night having been given the chance to start the game. Coming in to the last 10 minutes of the game he finally got another chance. A throw in from Ricky Fox found the forward on the edge of the box. He twisted and turned and worked himself space. His right foot shot looked destined for the back of the net, but McLoughlin was equal to it.

As hard as Wexford worked on the night, they just couldn't make any impact against a well organised Waterford side.

Attendance: 1,647

Waterford FC: Ian McLoughlin, Robin Dempsey, Patrick McClean, Shane O'Connor, Mark O'Sullivan, David McDaid (Conor Whittle, 90+1), Anthony McAlavey (Garry Comerford, 74), Derek Daly (Dean O'Halloran, 87), Kenny McEvoy, Kenny Browne, Tom Smith. Not used: Gary Delaney, Dean Walsh, Jake Evans, Matthew O'Connor.

Wexford FC: Graham Doyle, Ricky Fox, Andrew O'Connor, Ross Kenny, Craig McCabe, Thomas Croke (Craig Hayes, 78), Sean Hurley (Eoin Porter, 68), Craig Wall, Lee Duffy, Shane Dunne, Adam Hanlon (Liam Donnelly, 86). Not used: Corey Chambers, Owen McCormack, Sean Eve, Conor Sutton.


League of Ireland First Division

    Pld +/- Pts
8 Cobh Ramblers 27 -17 29
9 Wexford FC 27 -36 17
10 Athlone Town 27 -65 7

Full table


Women's National League

    Pld +/- Pts
1 Wexford Youths Women 21 46 54
2 Shelbourne LFC 21 51 52
3 Peamount United 21 55 45

Full table


Find out more about our clubhouse rental packages, perfect for 21st or birthdays

Click here


Visit the sponsorship page to see the different team and club partner opportunites

Click Here


Be part of the official Supporters Club


Why not book one of our all weather pitches, available throughout the week at the best rates

Click here

Football Association of IrelandLeinster Football Associationwexford football leaguesse airtricity leaguecontinental womens national leaguewexford womens league

© 2018 Wexford FC
Website by aztecdesign.ie
Back to Top